Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Faith's own series announced
Jinxgirl
Posted: April 02, 2011 11:56 am
Quote Post

Change me

Group: Members
Member No.: 741

Called Angel and Faith, a continuation of Buffy season eight, with Angel and Faith given equal focus (but hopefully not dating). I am pretty excited actually. And so far they do say they won't be dating lol. Comes out in August and is 25 episodes long, five arcs.
PMAOL
vangiebaybay
Posted: April 03, 2011 04:35 am
Quote Post

Change me

Member No.: 2,026

YES more comics for me to buy thumbup.gif biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
Imrryr
Posted: April 03, 2011 10:03 pm
Quote Post

Change me

Member No.: 1,940

I really hope they can find an artist who will draw Faith consistently well. Towards the end of season 8 I could barely recognize her half the time.

Anyways, provided Faith remains in character, and they aren't lying about Faith and Angel not dating, I'll at least give this new series a chance. Ever since I got to season 3, and started reading B/F fics, Faith has been the most interesting character to me. So, I'm totally eager to find out what she does next. smile.gif

Thanks for letting us know!

This post has been edited by Imrryr on April 03, 2011 10:04 pm
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Lunnerdog456
Posted: April 04, 2011 01:36 am
Quote Post

Change me

Member No.: 1,896

Thanks. thumbup.gif Just one problem with that. I going have to wait between 4 & 5 months for it. But at least they coming out with one biggrin.gif

--------------------
Run Free
PMEmail Poster
daryl772003
Posted: April 08, 2011 04:31 pm
Quote Post

Change me

Member No.: 1,041

glad faith and angel aren't dating. that is all kinds of wrong. its way past time faith got her own series
PMEmail Poster
Tempera
Posted: January 28, 2012 07:49 am
Quote Post

Change me

Member No.: 2,389

Angel & Faith? Fuck yeah.

I just started reading this comic last night, and finished all six issues at like, one this morning.

I gotta say, I love this comic so far. It's leaps and bounds better than buffy Season 8 was; and it's a lot more personal, too.

(A general warning here, I'm not gonna go very far to avoid spoilers, so if you want to avoid spoilers, don't read beyond this.)

The comic is very much focused on three characters at the moment; Angel, Faith and Giles. The last may seem particularly odd, since anyone who kept up with Season 8 knows that Giles died, but the comic does a superb job at characterizing Giles without resorting to hokey tactics like bringing him back as a ghost. In fact, the story is even flashing out his backstory a bit, showing us how he became the man he is today (or was yesterday, as the case may be).

But what is the comic actually about?

Well, it's about Faith and Angel.

No, really; that's the best way to describe it.

At the start of the series, Angel is really depressed and mopey because, you know, he was an insane god and murdered people and he killed Giles, and all as Angel too. Admittedly, he had the excuse of having been to Hell (literally) and being the only person to remember it, and also the foreknowledge that if he didn't shut off all magic this would happen to everyone, but, you know, murder.

This is where things actually get interesting. Faith has entered the scene sometime just before the start of the series, and she has changed, a lot.

She is a lot more mature than she was in the series. She swears a lot less; she has stopped using her sexuality as a weapon and defense mechanism; and overall, she is a lot calmer than she has been in any of her previous appearances. I wouldn't say this detracts from her character, though; she has lost the "Wild girl" edge she had, but in its' place she has become someone people look up to, which is shown in both her interactions with Angel and her interactions with the Junior Slayers located near her.

An interesting note about the Junior Slayers is that they are actually shaping up to have characterization and be plot-relevant here, moreso than in either Season 7 or Season 8. One of the Junior Slayers, and the one who has received the most attention and characterization so far, was actually involved in the war against Twilight; her whole squad was killed by Twilight, and two of his flunkies who are antagonists in this series, and so she is searching for Angel to kill him, which in turn is leading Faith to have to lie to her in order to keep him safe. It's surprisingly complex for a BtvS comic.

Angel, himself, has lost none of his fighting skills, his general menace, or really, any of the things that made him the awesome, well, badass he was. However, with a lot of new deaths on Angel's hands, he has entered into a whole new phase of angst (although the story is remarkably angst-free).

The dynamic between the two has changed a lot. Where previously, Angel was Faith's mentor, showing her how to be good and whatnot, now Faith is the leading force, keeping Angel from going too far in his quest to resurrect Giles. This really exemplifies just how far Faith has come in her character development; while she has not exactly come to terms with her past, she is no longer the dark temptress she was.

In fact, this last point is even brought up within the comic itself twice. Once, in a flashback when Faith is talking to Giles, where she admits that she still feels guilt over someone's murder (Giles tells her that she should not feel guilty for Allan Finch's death; Faith surprises him by telling him that Finch was consorting with demons and that's enough for her to not feel bad about killing him; rather, she feels guilty for killing the Professor. A surprisingly poignant moment here is when she mentions the Professor's daughter still regularly visits Sunnydale, dropping flowers into the crater for him.) A second moment is when Faith stops the aforementioned Junior Slayer from killing a human who believes he is a vampire; she mentions that she could stop her from killing him because she had been there before.)

The comic is remarkably good at characterization. Everyone is in-character, but they have changed somewhat due to the events of life. It's a very personal tale.

tl;dr: Faith is all growned up now.
PMEmail Poster
Jinxgirl
Posted: February 09, 2012 12:23 pm
Quote Post

Change me

I love it too...and the drawings of Faith are great. She looks very Faithy, though her clothes at times (PINK DRESS? PURPLE PJS?) I disagree with lol
PMAOL
Tempera
Posted: February 11, 2012 02:41 am
Quote Post

Change me

QUOTE (Jinxgirl @ February 09, 2012 12:23 pm)
I love it too...and the drawings of Faith are great. She looks very Faithy, though her clothes at times (PINK DRESS? PURPLE PJS?) I disagree with lol

I think they were intending to show how she has changed through a visual aspect of her, there- her clothing being the obvious choice, and also one of the least obnoxious ways they could have shown it.

I don't think it was the best choice, personally- it doesn't really suit the way she acts. It was an interesting choice, though.
PMEmail Poster
Jinxgirl
Posted: March 01, 2012 12:00 pm
Quote Post

Change me

SPOILER- FAITH'S DAD

Did anyone else read this and...totally disagree with her background?

Obviously they aren't following Go Ask Malice saying it's canon, because there was no mention of Faith's dad being in prison or killing anyone. According to comics, her story with her dad is that he was an alcholic like her mom. That's it. So apparently she stayed with her family, maybe until her mom died, maybe she left to be with her watcher before her mom died, eitehr way, her dad was always actively involved in her life, as far as we know, even if he was an alcoholic.

Really?! I just can't see that. Then, after not seeing him for at least a decade and having no reason to trust him, Faith chases him down the street yelling for him desperately and passionately flings herself into his arms...even though we later see he's up to no good?

I think Joss has lost sight of characters.
PMAOL
Tempera
Posted: March 02, 2012 02:05 pm
Quote Post

Change me

Damn, a new issue is out? And to think I spent all of my money on video games.

From what you're describing, though, I don't think it's that bad. It's a lot more subtle than Go Ask Malice is.

Living with two alcoholic parents can screw a kid up a lot. It normalizes their parent's behaviour, but drunk people have very few restrictions on their behaviour. It would explain a lot about Faith's hypersexualization in her appearances in Buffy and Angel, as well as her lack of direction in life.

There's nothing wrong with being less in-your-face about how bad Faith's life was. You don't need to have her being beaten by her parents for six years until her father runs away and her mother descends into drug abuse and Faith sees them fucking several times and her boyfriends mess around with Faith and she sees her mother dies of a drug overdose and she lives on the streets selling herself for food for eight years until her Watcher finds her at which point she watches her Watcher get raped and bled to death and then she rises and Faith has to stake her and then everything in canon Buffyverse happens.

I have seen that happen, or a variation on the above- sometimes even more shit happens, as impossible as that sounds- in at least half a dozen fics.

Something as simple as both of her parents being alcoholics, with occasional abusive behaviour, would explain pretty much all of Faith's behaviours in the series; hypersexualization, extreme selfishness, a lack of regard for others welfare, and eventually, an extreme hate for herself.

I don't know. I will reserve judgement until I have read the issue.
PMEmail Poster
Jinxgirl
Posted: April 02, 2012 11:35 am
Quote Post

Change me

Anyone read the latest issue? Wow on the Faith breakdown....crying for seven freaking pages, lol...

I still don't like that we don't know the nature of her relationship with her dad after all that. Was he absent a lot? Was he there but abusive? Was he in and out of jail all her life or disappearing for long periods? What was his relationship with her mother? Did he know her mother was abusive? When did her mother die? Did she never live with her Watcher? How long did she live with her father? You really barely know anything more except that her dad was involved with the Irish mob.
PMAOL
Tempera
Posted: April 03, 2012 07:34 am
Quote Post

Change me

Okay, I've caught up with both Issue 7 and Issue 8 now. Woo, schoolwork was a bit hectic there.

On the topic of Faith's father, I actually think that the characterization is good here. It's not the usual explain-everything-in-explicit-detail that is so prevalent in storytelling, which is a bit annoying when you want to know the details about their past. It leads the reader to draw their own conclusions about what's happened in the past.

One bit of characterization I like is Faith's reaction to cutting the man's arm. It is definitely typical of a more grown-up but still somewhat immature Faith, and even hints at moderate to extreme PTSD over killing Finch and the Professor.

I don't know. I think that this Faith is a very good character in her own right. Her relationship with her father is complicated; she has not had a father figure for most of her life, so when her father crops up and could be a good father to her, she is willing to jump at the chance. However, the ramifications of his betrayal will likely last for a lot longer than his actual presence within the comic, and will shape Faith's characterization for a long time to come.

Overall, I like the comics, and I'll continue to follow them. Comics are a good medium for showing all this, too.
PMEmail Poster
Tempera
Posted: April 28, 2012 11:59 pm
Quote Post

Change me

user posted image

Okay. First things first; I have to admit, I don't like the way they closed off this latest story arc. They closed up Drusilla's arc there, and they provided Faith with some measure of closure, but overall, the arc felt hurried and kind of wander-y.

That said, in this latest issue, there were some things that stood out to me very much.

The thing that stood out to me, though, was how they reaffirmed Angel's character, and his relationship with Faith.

user posted image

It's not easy to get to Angel's core. Most people take one look at Angel, note his suffering, and assume that he would do anything to make the pain stop. That's not what Angel is like, though. He keeps the pain, the memories, as close to him as possible, and uses them as his drive to do good. Faith is the same. She has just had less time to deal with it.

user posted image

But the other thing I like about this comic is the writing. The way that the writers can have Angel explain what's going on with Faith, to the readers, without having it sound like they're talking down to us or explaining the obvious.

That said, there's very little resolution within this arc. We don't know what's come of any of it, or how they've been damaged because of it. We don't know what's coming. The entire arc has been a lead-in for future arcs, which I personally find to be very annoying.

Still, the comic has been pretty great so far, and to anyone who hasn't read it so far, I would urge you to pick it up at your earliest convenience.
PMEmail Poster
Miho
Posted: August 16, 2012 09:19 am
Quote Post

the hardest thing in this world is to live in it.

Member No.: 2,400

I would sell my soul for scans of the comics from someone!

--------------------
and you can't stand that. you're all about control; you have no idea what it's like on the other side! where nothing's in control; nothing makes sense! there's just pain and hate, and nothing you do means anything.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Miho
Posted: November 15, 2012 06:18 am
Quote Post

the hardest thing in this world is to live in it.

Member No.: 2,400

I was able to get my hands on comics #1-#10. personally, I liked the Drusilla arc. it was great to see Faith in such a vulnerable position and emotion again; there wasn't enough of that, and it shows us that she is such an incredible person and a loving soul deep down.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Palpatine
  Posted: December 02, 2015 06:41 pm
Quote Post

Change me

Member No.: 2,785

I like the new series, it's been going on for a while, and it's a lot of fun- him paired with her; they both have the same personality disorder, and he did help her out with her personality glitch (psychopathy- which he happens to have too) so they're really good partners and watch eachother's back very well. biggrin.gif cool.gif
PMEmail PosterYahoo
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

GetSkinned.co.uk